Oh, and use a big bowl. A really really big bowl. Or do a half recipe.
- 14 cups of rolled grain (the original says 8 cups oat and 6 of wheat, but I usually do more like 10 oat and then a little barley, rye, wheat, whatever I have around. If you can't have gluten, you can do this with all gluten-free grains!)
- 2 c untoasted wheat germ (or not, if you don't have it or can't do gluten if you don't do it, then do the higher amounts of coconut and/or nuts)
- 2-3 c shredded coconut (do the larger amount if you don't do the wheat germ, or add nuts)
- 1-2 c nuts if desired (I like doing sliced or slivered almonds. You can also add them at the end, but I like them to get coated in all the good stuff...)
- 1 T salt (yes that's a tablespoon)
- 1 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 c oil (I strongly recommend coconut oil--melt it before pouring it in)
- 1 c water
- 1/2 c honey
- 1 T vanilla
If desired, add dried fruit, seeds, nuts, etc. (I prefer to add a cup or two of sliced or slivered almonds with the dry ingredients, so they get coated and toasted.
Store in an airtight container.